Wednesday, August 15, 2012

It's got to be Paul Ryan (but I certainly hope not)


A week ago, 5 of my friends "liked" Mitt Romney. Today there are 7. Did Mitt release his tax returns? Did he actually answer a question? Do they feel bad because Rafalca didn't medal? Is it the commercials? I thought about posting another status asking the "what's to like" question, but considering the crickets I heard last time, I'm not gonna pull a Romney and repeat something that's pointless.

I really hope that the 2 newest likes for Romney don't have anything to do with his veep pick, Paul Ryan. Do people NOT know about Ryan? Do people understand the implications of having Ryan as a Veep? 

Ryan in a hoot. First of all, a very good friend of mine said he dyes his hair. So he's a liar. Do you see all of President Obama's grays? At least he's honest. Other than that, just to name a couple things, here's what I know about Ryan:

  • He voted against the Lilly Ledbetter fair pay act
  • He believes live begins at FERTILIZATION (wtf)
  • He wants to defund Planned Parenthood
  • He wants to turn Medicare into a voucher program
  • He wants to cut Medicaid
  • He basically wants to criminalize abortions

Oh and he says that President Obama is driving our country into the ground. Right. Cos all the things he wants and believes in wouldn't. He's such a forward-thinking man, that Ryan! 


I really don't think that those 7 people believe that planned parenthood should be defunded, or that abortions should be illiegal, or that women shouldn't be paid at a decent rate... So what do they believe in? They don't believe in President Obama, and they like Mitt Romney. Maybe they seem themselves in Romney's message of "you did that on your own (so don't give back or give anyone else a chance)". 

All I can hope for is that swing voters aren't as batshit-crazy as these 7 friends of mine...

2 comments:

  1. I relate to the "crickets on FB" feeling - have the same experiences quite often! I can't figure out if it's a) they just really don't give a shit - things that don't immediately and directly impact them just fly over their heads or b) they disagree and are staying quiet to be polite.

    Both are sad. If A - if right now women and supporters of women's rights aren't absolutely appalled at the current political steamroller headed their way, I doubt they'll ever pay attention. Until something happens to affect them directly, in which case they'll scratch their heads and wonder what happened. If B - screw em! I enjoy a good debate, and while sometimes wrong (ha, remember KONY?) I like to think I'm usually on the side of logic and fact and would love to influence more... ahem... right-leaning poorly-informed citizens. (tempted to be more colorful there, but I'll resist!)

    Anyway, regarding Ryan - right on. What are your 7 friends thinking? Unless they are white, Christian male millionaires, I can't imagine what's to like about the RMoney/Ryan ticket.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh... the thing about politics today is how static it is for some people, and that those people can't think critically. I think it's fine to be passionate about something (yes, I remember Kony!! (; ) as long as you have the ability to take a second and THINK once new information is presented to you.

      Another thing is that there's a new trend of non-sacrifice in this country. America is gone through rough times, but achieved great things. Today, it's like people don't want to sacrifice anything and have expectations of being selfish billionaires. They don't want to put in their share, or force others to put in their share to help the country as a whole. All they see is themselves, and I guess they see themselves and all that selfishness in Mitt Romney.

      Basically, I blame it on privilege.

      Delete